I used to always just buy the pre-made slaw from the deli section of the store and I was never ever impressed with it. Yet, time after time I bought it anyway. I guess I thought making it would be too difficult or time consuming. Boy was I wrong!
In our family we like what we like and some things we are picky about. When I look at new recipe’s sometimes I like only part of what is in it, or some of the ingredients I know one of us will just not eat. What I usually do is try to figure out what I can either take out, add or substitute to a recipe and then make it my own and turn it into something we love.
This is how I came up with this slaw recipe. It. Is. So. Easy. You. Won’t. Believe. It.
I will never buy that pre-made junk again!
Poppy Seed Sweet Slaw
- 1 bag coleslaw mix
- 2 full tablespoons of diced onion
- 2/3 cup Miracle Whip (I never use this stuff, but for some reason it tastes the best for this recipe. You can use whatever creamy salad dressing you prefer.)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup white sugar (you could certainly use less of this, I just like it sweet)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (sometimes I get wild and add pepper too)
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds (I usually add a little more, just for fun)
Dump the coleslaw mix and onion in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the salad dressing, vegetable oil, sugar, vinegar, salt and poppy seeds. Make sure to blend it thoroughly. Pour dressing mixture over coleslaw and onion and mix well. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.
If you love slaw and you have never made it before, I hope this will inspire you to try!