Corn Casserole

I hope that you have all recovered from the holidays! It feels like a whirlwind that came and went so fast it’s almost like it never even happened. I am still trying to figure out how in the world 2011 disappeared so quickly. I guess the older I get the faster the time goes. I am thinking I better start making up some great ‘stories’ now for my grandchildren. You know the ones…how I had to walk 20 miles in the sleeting snow and rain just to get to school and how bread only cost 10 cents a loaf. Oh, wait a second, those were my grandparents stories. I guess I better rethink that.

Mine will be more along the lines of, “Can you believe we used to only have 4G when your mom and dad were kids? Hard to believe that now we are speeding along at 100G. All these newfangled gadgets just blow my mind. Well, what’s left of it anyway after I raised your parents. How about I go and get you some ice cream and 20 pounds of candy, get you all wired out and then take you back to your parents!!” Ha! I will show my kids one day!

Anyway, back to this corn casserole. I love this stuff. I make it with my cream cheese enchiladas, it goes perfect. I will post the recipe for that this week, so stay tuned. This is super easy to make and doesn’t take long to cook. You could serve it as a side with just about anything you want to.

***Since I posted this recipe the first time, I have started making this casserole as a side dish to all of our Mexican inspired dinners. It tastes just like the awesome little corn cakes you can get in the Mexican restaurants. Make according to the directions below, but instead of putting in a casserole dish, grease two regular size muffin tins and add the mixture to the tins  about 3/4 of the way full. Bake according to directions. They turn out so crispy on all sides and are perfect even for an appetizer!

Corn Casserole

• 1 can sweet corn, drained (you can use the southwest style corn if you want to)
  • 1 can cream-style corn
  • 1 package Jiffy corn muffin mix (you know, the one in the little blue box)
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar
  • Add 1 – 4 oz can of chopped green chilis and some red pepper flakes if you like it with a little KICK!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, stir together all the ingredient until well combined.

Pour into a greased 9 by 13-inch casserole dish. Sometimes I use my glass pie pan too.

Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.

Serve warm with your favorite meal! Enjoy!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Dinner, Lunch, Mexican Inspired, Recipes, Sides, Vegetables, Vegetarian. Bookmark the permalink.

76 Responses to Corn Casserole

1. Pingback: Cream Cheese Enchiladas | OhMyGoodyGoodness

2. Pingback: Pulled Pork Tacos | OhMyGoodyGoodness

3. Tammy says:

so a 13 x 9 glass rectangle dish?

4. Tammy says:

do i mix the jiffy with the egg and milk or just the jiffy cornmeal alone

5. marian says:

Can you tell me how much to do for 50 people.

• I think your best bet for that many people would be to triple the recipe and make it in muffin pans. You could get between 54-60 individual muffins out of it. You could make them all up ahead of time and the warm them right before serving. Otherwise, you could possibly get 12-15 small pieces in a 9×13 pan so you would have to make 4 times the normal recipe. I think using muffin tins will save money and they will be easy to eat. Please let me know how it turns out! Best of luck with your party!

6. this is super wonderful. I add a big tablespoon of sugar to the corn mix. I like the teeny bit of sweetness it adds. thank you so much for this recipe – love it.

7. Louvenia Staten says:

can’t wait to make this!!!!!!!!

8. gnana says:

I think I don’t know what I am doing !! LOL I made the casserole, but put it in a smaller dish so it IS thick and I don’t know how much longer to bake it. Instructions ? Looks and smells devine, but how dry or wet is it supposed be?

• I am a little late responding to you, did it turn out ok? Even when I make it in my cupcake pans, it is still always a little jiggly and mushy in the center. It isn’t going to really firm up like some other casseroles will. Please let me know how it turned out and if you liked it!!

• gnana says:

A little late in responding, but to let you know——we loved it !!! Will be made many times in this home. Also made Mimi’s orzo and beef. Fantastic. What can I say except thank you for all the recipes that I have tried. All have been wonderful keepers !! Oh and the corn casserole is even better the next day. NONE thrown away.

• I am so glad you are finding things you love! Those two dishes are two of our favorites around here. I have been so busy I haven’t put up anything new for awhile, but I am hoping to get a few new recipes up within the week. Thank you for letting me know you liked it!!

9. Deborah Sullivan says:

I’d like to try this in regular size muffin tins but I did not notice how long they shoud bake in muffin size. Did I miss that part?

• I set them for 20 minutes and then just check them. Sometimes they have needed an extra 5-8 minutes. For some reason, I have not been able to get an exact time, as the times I have cooked them in the muffin tins, have varied between those times. I love them cooked that way the best. It gives them each a nice little crispy coating and are easy just to hold in your hands and eat!

10. Cynde Buntemeyer says:

I just made the corn cassarole for dinner. It was delicious.

11. leslie says:

Is there a way to make this without sour cream?

• Hi Leslie! Are you looking for an option that is not dairy, or just not sour cream? If you are looking for a good option that is dairy, you could try plain yogurt or maybe even cottage cheese. You just want something that will give it that smooth creamy texture.

If you are looking for non-dairy or vegan options, I found this link for you with vegan substitutions.

I hope you can find a way to make this that will suit your needs. Let me know if you try it and what you use and we can update it on the recipe!

12. john says:

The best way that you can tell when it is done it will pull away fro the sides alittle

13. Alyssa Mayclin says:

Oh dear. Someone shared this recipe on Facebook and I JUMPED into the kitchen to make it (I just happened to have ONE can of cream-style corn and ONE box of Jiffy mix left).. well, whoever nabbed it from here originally decided to change a few things. Their recipe says to add cheese after and pop in the oven again to melt (though I wanted extra cheese, so I added a little to the mixture) and it said one CUP of butter.. not one stick. It seemed like a ton of butter when I melted it and poured it in, but I don’t bake or cook too much, and it emphasized the “buttery” aspect on the recipe, so I went with it. It also says to bake for 45 minutes. Now I’m confused and hoping I didn’t ruin the entire dish because it looks and sounds absolutely fantastic!!
    (Totally bookmarking your page for future reference)

• Alyssa, I hope that it turned out to be good! I have noticed that the recipe has been shared quite a few times around the web and there are definitely a few different versions of it. I love this casserole and make it several times a year to go with certain dishes. I am glad you found my site and hope that you will find some other things you love here!

14. Marion says:

I love your website going to try many dishes. The corn casserole can you freeze it after it has been cooked?

• Thank you so much for stopping by Marion! I am so glad you have found some things you like. I have never frozen it after it was cooked, so I am not sure how it would taste that way. I think if I were going to freeze it, I would cook it in a muffin tin and make the individual sizes first. It would be so much easier to take out and re-heat what you needed.

15. Barbara Zahn says:

I cooked up some groud beef with ooions (drained), mixed in diced tomatoes, salsa, garkic; basil, 2 boxes of jiffy corn muffin mix, with some milk and 2 eggs, plus the corn and sour cream and the cheese on top, After it was all done, I mixed taco seasoning , with sout cream, put some on top with LaVictoria Salsa Brava (Hot) and it was Totally AWESOME!!

16. Jen says:

Made this tonight for our Thanksgiving dinner ( I live abroad so we celebrate whenever) and it was delicious. So buttery and cheesy. Yummy!

17. Holly says:

Would it be possible to make this ahead and reheat or prep the night before and then bake?

18. Rachel Mason says:

Hi there! I have another Thanksgiving question…it is Tuesday, so do you think it would be ok to prep it today, put it in the fridge, then haul it to where we are having dinner and bake it? That is 2 full days in the fridge. My MIL actually requested a corn casserole and my husband stumbled upon this through Facebook! Looks delicious and can’t wait to try it.

• Hello Rachel! I have only ever made it the day before and store in the fridge, but I don’t see why one more day would make much of a difference. Just set it out and let it get to room temperature before you bake it, then it won’t take quite as long to cook. This casserole is so delicious, we just love it! I am making it again this year for Thanksgiving. I hope you have a wonderful holiday, let me know how you like this!

19. Jennifer Lea says:

I added fresh cooked crispy bacon, a dash of chili powder, and some green onions to mine. This is the best!!! Your recipe is the best! Thank you for sharing!

20. maxxiea@aol.com says:

I only have 2 cans of regular corn…anyone made this without having cream style corn?

• I didn’t have cream corn on thanksgiving, and I just put butter in a skillet with salt and pepper, put a regular can of corn in the skillet and then put about 1/2 cup of heavy cream on it. Let it simmer for just a few minutes until the corn is soft, then add into the other ingresients. It turned out delicious.

21. Julie says:

Is this dish sweet? I just had corn casserole at a friend’s house for the first time and it was sweet. I’m hoping this is the same recipe.

Thanks!

22. Pingback: Tasty Tuesday | Hunting with Frizzante

23. Fannie Wright Dixon says:

I am making this tomorrow for the holiday.

24. Fannie Wright Dixon says:

Oh this was so delicious! First dish to go. Thank you!

25. Sherri French says:

Hi! This sounds delicious! I’d like to make this for our work party, but I would have to bake it in the morning, refrigerate it at work for a few hours, and then warm it in the microwave before the party. Would it be ok to do that? Any tips on how and how long to warm it up?

• You can always bake it and then reheat it. It might be best to bake it and then cover it and just leave it out until you are ready to eat it. If it is only a couple hours I think it would be fine, but do what you feel the most comfortable with. If you are going to heat it in the microwave, I would slightly wet a paper towel and lay it over the top, this will help it stay moist and not dry it out so much. This casserole is so delicious, my family and friends love it! Good luck with it!

26. hwhiston30 says:

Is this gluten free? It should be shouldn’t it? All corn stuff?

• The Jiffy mix is actually not gluten free. However, there are mixes out there that are gluten free that you could substitute for it. Also, I have seen several recipe alternatives for cornbread mix online.

27. Wade Hadley says:

I am going to try the Mexican Style cornbread mix !

28. Sooz says:

Hi!
    I finally made this Corn Casserole for my husband tonight. He LOVED it! I am not a lover of cream style corn, so when I saw that this called for that, that is probably why I never got around to making this for him sooner! But I do love corn bread and the rest of the ingredients, so I decided to make it. I did try some myself! It does taste delicious! (We didn’t have anything else with it. I would like it as a side with something).
    I used my glass pie plate. At 350 degrees, in my oven, I ended up baking it about 50 minutes.
    I will definitely be making this quite often now! Thanks for the recipe!

• I am so happy you both loved it! Thank you so much for letting me know. With everything mixed in together, it is really hard to tell there is creamed corn in it. I don’t eat much from cans these days, so I just take some thawed, organic, frozen corn and smash it up in a bowl. Then I add salt, pepper and organic heavy cream and mix it up. I heat a pan up over medium-high heat and add some Kerry Gold butter to it. Then I add the corn and cream and just stir it around until it gets bubbly. It is so good and it gives it a little bit of that creamed corn consistency and texture.

29. Andrew says:

I did this over last Christmas holiday and it was fantastic!! And believe me I’m no pro in the kitchen. I just followed the directions to the letter (minus peppers……I like sweet!) and it turned out perfectly. A new holiday tradition! Thank you!

• Thank you so much for sharing that with me, it means a lot! We absolutely LOVE this casserole and even more when I make it in a muffin pan, so it makes little corn cakes! Perfect to just pick up and eat.

30. Debby says:

Every year I look for a corn casserole recipe to make for Thanksgving b/c I’ve never been able to find one I liked. I tried this recipe last year and it was so good! It was one of the only dishes that was almost gone at the end of the meal. I made it again a few weeks later for a Xmas party in a muffin tin…it was the hit of the party! I can’t wait to make it again for Thanksgiving this year.

• Thank you so much for sharing that with me! I love this stuff, especially when I make it in muffin tins. Each piece has a great crispy edge and you can eat it with your hands! 🙂 such a holiday favorite! I hope you and your family have a wonderfully blessed Thanksgiving!

31. Cat Owens says:

Thanks for sharing, this recipe looks so delish. Will make this for thanksgiving this year

32. Rebekahs Best says:

Thanks so much for sharing your delicious recipe. I plan on making this in just a few days for Thanksgiving. 🙂

33. Sarah says:

I love this recipe and just cooked it for Thanksgiving. Can it be frozen?

• Hi, Sarah! I have not frozen it before, as I’ve never had any left over. However, I don’t see why you couldn’t try it. Just take it out a bake it when you’re ready to eat it again. I am so glad you enjoyed it!

34. Karina says:

is there any way to cut the butter amount?

• Yes! I always cut it to a little more than half of what’s called for. Just remember to grease your pan or muffin tins really well, to prevent sticking. I forgot to do that on Thanksgiving, and ended up with the muffins stuck to the pan.

35. Lisa says:

Made this tonight. Yum. Kids loved it. I have made it before but never with cheese. They said it was a keeper.

36. Amber says:

Late to the party, but this sounds amazing. I think I’ll add a bell pepper ring to the top of the muffins to make it a little more decorative and use it for my potluck dish (lots of lacto-vegetarian friends.) Thanks for the recipe

37. Andrew says:

I did this last year and it came out PERFECT! I’m not much of a cook but the directions are flawless. I did though leave out the green chiles and red pepper because I prefer sweet over spicy with anything corn based. It’s definitely coming to the table for the holidays this year too! Thank you for the recipe. I tell everyone about this!!