I can’t believe it has been over a month since my last recipe post. Things have been a little hectic around here. We are a super healthy family, but after not having been sick for over two years, we all got sick! It seemed like just when one of us got better someone else would get it and it kept making the rounds for about 6 weeks! YIKES! We are all better now though, with the exception of the annoying pollen issues, which seem to be worse this year than in any year I can remember.
I didn’t make any new recipes or do anything exciting in the kitchen until just last week, when I finally felt like being creative again! It felt so good to be back in the groove after so long. One of the things I made was Fish Tacos, and I revamped my recipe a little bit. They were by far the best I have ever made. There are three parts to the recipe and one of those parts is this mango cole slaw. I use this recipe in a couple of different dishes that I make, but I had never made it for the tacos. It turns out that it is amazing with them!
This is really easy to make, but it just needs to be made up a little ahead of time so that it can chill and the flavors can blend together. You will need either a blender or a food processor to blend up the sauce for this.
Mango Cole Slaw
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and chopped (this is optional)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 3/4 – 1 cup mayonnaise (I have update this recipe to say that I now ONLY use Duke’s Mayo. It is gluten free and by far the best tasting mayo I have ever used)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (or more if your like me and you love it)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bag of shredded coleslaw mix
Transfer the mango mixture to a food processor and pulse until the mixture is smooth. Then empty into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the mayonnaise, cilantro, garlic and lime juice and season with salt and pepper.